November 19, 2018, 02:46:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New DKP bonuses implemented!

Home   Help Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best console of all time  (Read 4166 times)
Frozie

0118 999 881 999 119 725... 3!

« on: February 15, 2007, 01:24:14 pm »

Alright, I'm bored out of my f*ing mind and I was wondering what you guys think about a completely odd subject Wink

imho, the best console of all time is the Super Nintendo.

My arguments: it simply rocks! great games...

/discuss Grin

Hawss

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 01:36:53 pm »

Atari 2600.
I still have the same one I got as a kid and about 65, still working, cartridges.

I pooted.
Tbag
Guild Leader

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 02:31:19 pm »

Very, very diffcult to pick an overall best for me, but I would have to go with the NEC TurboDuo. The TurboDuo is a unified version of the TurboGrafx-16, TurboGrafx-CD, Super System BIOS,  and bonus 192K memory.

I bought the TurboDuo for one reason: to play one of the greatest platform games ever made, Akumajo Dracula X Chi no Rondo, a.k.a. Demon Castle Dracula X Rondo of Blood or just Dracula X. The music alone was worth picking up this game. They later released it as Castlevania: Dracula X on SNES, but they took out all the coolest graphic elements and really cheapened the title.

The TurboDuo also plays all my old TurboGrafx-16 HuCards and shipped with a super kick-ass shooter called Gates of Thunder. There were so many good titles available for this system, like the Bonk series, Bomberman (4 player!), Ghouls and Ghosts, Alien Crush and Devil's Crush (awesome pinball games!), R-Type, Ninja Spirit, and a whole lot more.

And the HuCard games worked in the portable system, the TurboExpress. First portable game system with a backlit active matrix color display - I still take it with me when I travel Smiley

If I had to give a runner-up, I think I'd go with the Sega Genesis, followed closely by the SNES.

P.S. Game collection link for history buffs Smiley
http://homepage.mac.com/loudne55/PhotoAlbum17.html

Tbag (♂ Tauren Druid 80)Rockarolla (♀ Troll Hunter 80)
Buffer (○ Blood Elf Paladin 80)Organna (♀ Orc Warlock 80)
Hooligan (♂ Orc Warrior 80)Moraxella (♀ Tauren Death Knight 80)
Weird (♂ Undead Mage 80)Priestitute (♀ Blood Elf Priest 80)
Capacitor (♂ Goblin Shaman 8)Claret (♀ Blood Elf Rogue 75)
Frozie

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 03:11:06 pm »

I'd have to say that the Sega Genesis is a pretty good console too, but I still prefer SNES over it. I can't think of any titles that I'd go nuts over on the Genesis. As far as I'm concerned, the best thing Sega can do are arcade games Grin

I do enjoy playing Gunstar Heroes once in a while too (got it on my Wii Wink)

Now, that Dracula X game was a pretty good game on the SNES, I can only imagine what it would look like on that TurboDuo of yours with better graphics and sound effects...

Correct me if I'm wrong but, Mario > Sonic Tongue

Quickstorm
Guild Officer

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 03:46:52 pm »

It isn't a console but i miss my old apple 2. Sometime i feel the need for karateka or even lode runner or moon patrol. If i had to stick with console i would go with the snes only because i was and still am into rpg and the others had crap for those (well phantasy star was good but still looked like crap).
Tbag
Guild Leader

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 04:52:34 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong but, Mario > Sonic Tongue

I'm a huge fan of Sonic, but I don't think there's any doubt that the Mario series far surpasses the Sonic series.

Still, I'm a big fan of vertical/side-scrolling shooters and arcade platformers (Atomic Runner, Golden Axe, Altered Beast, MERCS, Insector X, Gunstar Heroes, Streets of Rage, Forgotten Worlds, etc.), and the Genesis had the SNES beat hands down in those categories. SNES had great entries here (Axelay, Super R-Type, Contra III, etc.) but the Genesis had way more to offer.

Now, that Dracula X game was a pretty good game on the SNES, I can only imagine what it would look like on that TurboDuo of yours with better graphics and sound effects...

The sound was infinitely better due to the game being delivered on CD - all of the music was standard red book audio, but the graphical differences were more about content than quality. In the TurboCD version of the game, there was tons of blood and religious imagery, plus some adult themes. The SNES version was gelded for what the Japanese believed to be an American audience that didn't like controversy with its consoles.

On the bright side, they are remaking Dracula X for the PSP with 3D enhancements (whatevah), and they are including the original game as well Smiley

Tbag (♂ Tauren Druid 80)Rockarolla (♀ Troll Hunter 80)
Buffer (○ Blood Elf Paladin 80)Organna (♀ Orc Warlock 80)
Hooligan (♂ Orc Warrior 80)Moraxella (♀ Tauren Death Knight 80)
Weird (♂ Undead Mage 80)Priestitute (♀ Blood Elf Priest 80)
Capacitor (♂ Goblin Shaman 8)Claret (♀ Blood Elf Rogue 75)
Narendur

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 05:04:05 pm »

etch a sketch. show respect to the old days fools!

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

Narendur, 70 Orc Hunter. Goblin Engineer
Felstalker 64 Undead Rogue, Enchanter/skinner
Frozie

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 06:42:04 pm »

It isn't a console but i miss my old apple 2. Sometime i feel the need for karateka or even lode runner or moon patrol. If i had to stick with console i would go with the snes only because i was and still am into rpg and the others had crap for those (well phantasy star was good but still looked like crap).

Dude! totally... I had an IBM XT+, a blazing 8 MHz computer with a *drum roll* CGA graphic card! (woot!! 4 colors at 320x200!!)
I played all those games, especially Karateka... I had a shoe box full of 5.25" floppy disks that my dad copied for me Wink

I also miss the good old games like Police Quest, King Quest and Space Quest I had on my computer at the time. And other really good old games like Zaxxon and Jumpman...

Quickstorm
Guild Officer

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 06:52:49 pm »

ooh i had forgotten zaxxon that was good shit. the only thing i hated with the king quest is that king quest 4 (yep made it for apple 2) used 14disk, back in the time where drive had only 1 head and you needed to turn the disk for it to read side b... fun when one crapped out.
Chylli

Be healed motherfuckers!

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 06:08:52 am »

i know this may be regarded as heresy, but im a huge fan of the N64. in my mind it was the pinnacle of Nintendo's achievements.

as for the Mario Vs Sonic discussion... well...  i believe that while Sonic had more "style" Mario was the more engaging game and therefor wins Tongue

Build a man a fire and he'll be hot for a day.
      Set a man on fire and he'll be hot for the rest of his life.
Zedy

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 04:03:40 pm »

i have to agree with chylli here imho N64 is the best console...
and Banjo >Mario+Sonic
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 04:05:16 pm by Zedy » Logged

zedy- 70 troll rogue
oshalanur- noob Hunter
Villgar
Raid Leader

Quitter

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2007, 11:25:31 pm »

Nintendo 64 was a huge let down to me. The only games i ever bought were Ocarina of Time and Rogue Squadron. I was always more of a Rpg game fan and the N64 had a pisspoor Rpg library. However the SNES was indeed the console of the golden age of gaming. The second renaissance if you will. That console had games like Zelda: Link to the Past, Chronotrigger, Earthbound, Zombies ate my neighbors, Final Fantasy 3 (or 6 if your a purist), Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat i could list games all day.

Also i remember a game for the Apple IIe where you played the role of a slave on the run who was attempting to escape to the Northern states. I think it was called "Freedom" we played it in school.

Fiesta Powered Truffle Shuffle!!!
Sihiri
Recruiting Officer

Moo

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 09:32:30 am »

Ok, slightly off topic, but the comment about games you played in school reminded me of Oregon Trail. Anyone else remember that game? Was always a good day in school when it was Oregon Trail day!

Oh noes! My oxen drowned!

http://www.classicgaming.com/rotw/otrail.shtml
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 09:37:05 am by Vilya » Logged
drezzok

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 12:54:48 pm »

TRS-80 Model III with 2 5 1/4" floppy drives, an external tape deck and an intercom.  Is that considered a console?  Wink
Veszoth

Rogue

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 02:04:20 pm »

I'm going to have to go with the Sega Dreamcast tied with the Super Nintendo. The SNES was the last system where graphics really didn't matter, the games were made to be fun. Fun they were.

The Dreamcast is my personal #1 simply because of what it offered the console gamer. Granted it was too advanced for it's time, I took advantage of everything it gave. The only complaints I have about it are:
- The controller has a learning curve.
- How many games were canceled? Half-life went gold and was canceled 3 days before store release. Seriously? WTFFTW.

[size=0][Click to View Profile][/size]| Subtlety Rogue
FafhrdOdep

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2007, 11:26:47 am »

I also miss the good old games like Police Quest, King Quest and Space Quest I had on my computer at the time. And other really good old games like Zaxxon and Jumpman...

All of those + Leisure Suit Larry!
Frozie

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 12:54:01 pm »

Leisure suit larry = cool stuff Wink

Villgar
Raid Leader

Quitter

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2007, 11:36:28 am »

Maniac Mansion and Full Throttle!

Fiesta Powered Truffle Shuffle!!!
Pages: [1]