November 21, 2017, 10:00:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New DKP bonuses implemented!

Home   Help Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Differences between men and women  (Read 3105 times)
Subi

« on: September 29, 2010, 11:08:17 am »

I think they must have been studying gamers:

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpps/news/study-women-apologize-more-than-men-dpgonc-20100929-fc_9851391

(NewsCore) - Women say sorry more often than men, while men are less likely to believe they need to apologize for their actions, according to a Canadian study reported by USA Today on Tuesday.

Psychologists at the University of Waterloo in Ontario found men have a "higher threshold" for behaving badly.

They also don't see eye to eye with women as to what is right and wrong, the study published online in the journal "Psychological Science" found.

"The gender differences just sort of leapt out at us," psychology professor Michael Ross, who co-authored the study, said. "It was too big to ignore. It was just very clearly there."

The psychologists used 186 people for their study and divided them by gender.

The participants were asked to keep a diary outlining instances when they apologized for their actions or felt they should have.

Women were found to have said sorry more often than men, although men were found to have said sorry just as often if they believed they were actually in the wrong.

"Part of the reason women apologize more is they have a lower threshold for what is offensive behavior," lead author of the study Karina Schumann said.

"It's not that men are always being insensitive or that women are always seeing offenses that aren't.

"It's a different standard between men and women on how offensive behavior is, and sometimes results in men not apologizing for something that the female thinks they should."

Akarai
Raid Leader

Wayward Priest

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 11:26:40 am »

although men were found to have said sorry just as often if they believed they were actually in the wrong.
Better chance of pigs flying. 

Can't get a nice hard vag up the ass, now can you?
<Plum> Your mom is a gear check.
zugzug

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 11:38:14 am »

they made a study to know that men dont like to apologized? that pretty obivious, any man that send little time with a woman could tell wou that, no need for a study lol.

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
Subi

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 11:51:21 am »

No, the study is more about the perception of the need to apologize. They find that women find the need to apologize more often than men and that there are situation in which woman would find the need to apologize and men would not.

I think its a very interesting theory and I'd love to see a larger study conducted. I know this is in lines with my own experiences in interacting and watching interactions with my Mom, sisters, wife and female friends.

I'd also like to see a break down of the men, those who come from families with a dominate female presence, mom laying down the law, vs those where the father leads the household.

Of course, in all this it would also be cool to get into the why. I mean we'd all bet that women and men perceive things differently, sometimes inferring meaning or missing a nuance, the question is why :-)

I blame vaginas myself

just me

Akarai
Raid Leader

Wayward Priest

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 12:00:08 pm »

Oh it is also reflective of my experience with my mom at least, she apologizes if cookies she makes aren't perfect.  My sister wouldn't apologize even if she hit you with a truck while you're legally crossing the street.  I am in the middle, depending on the situation and who I am with.  In Warcraft specifically, I'll only apologize if I feel guilty for whatever I did or said.  That is very rare.  Wink

Of course, in all this it would also be cool to get into the why. I mean we'd all bet that women and men perceive things differently, sometimes inferring meaning or missing a nuance, the question is why :-)
I  honestly think that is due to hormonal differences and typical gender roles.  Women are normally supposed to be more 'caring' since we are mothers, and probably much more receptive to any change in tone, expression, etc.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 12:08:05 pm by Akarai » Logged

Subi

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 12:17:46 pm »

I  honestly think that is due to hormonal differences and typical gender roles.  Women are normally supposed to be more 'caring' since we are mothers, and probably much more receptive to any change in tone, expression, etc.

again, vaginas.  Wink

Akarai
Raid Leader

Wayward Priest

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 12:24:06 pm »

again, vaginas.  Wink
They are magical.  And better than what you have.

Subi

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 12:39:56 pm »

"Everyone needs dick"
- Banky, Chasing Amy

LiverEater

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 02:20:36 pm »

I have to say that cocks are WAY better than vaginas. Can't get a nice hard vag up the ass, now can you?

On a more serious note, this reminds me of an emotional/gender theory I've had cooking recently...

A couple days ago I saw a joke on the internet about men not believing you can feel two things at the same time (the punchline ended with a wife telling her husband he had the biggest dick of all his friends... making him happy and mad!). This got me thinking, since a few of my trans friends have discussed this before as a change brought on by hormonal therapy (either the MTFs going from "simple" emotions to "complex" ones or the FTMs finding more emotional "clarity").

Anyway, my theory is that men feel the same blends of emotions that women do (at least to an extent), but perceive them differently. If a guy is feeling 70% happy, 20% mad, and 10% sad, he just simplifies that to happy, while women focus more on the fine tuning of the blend.

This could carry over to how the genders see right and wrong. In Akarai's example of burned cookies, men won't apologize because they made some damned cookies. Burnt cookies are better than no cookies, so why apologize? The 80% "right" of making cookies means you don't have to apologize for the 20% "wrong" of burning them a little bit. But women are more in tune to the fact that there is a portion of "wrong" in there and apologize for it to show their appreciation for the complexities of the situation.

In essence, it's a theory that men act on the practical outcome of these "shades of gray" and women act on acknowledging the individual components. If a man is 70% happy, he's going to act happy, so what's the point in bothering with the 20% mad and 10% sad? This could also be related to the male inclination to clam up when emotional situations get REALLY mixed up; if there's no clear "majority" emotion, there's no clear practical choice to guide your actions. This would also explain why a woman might get really excited when you give her a gift but then still make you sleep on the couch 3 hours later. You get rewarded for the gift but you also get punished for any tiny slivers of doubt or fear that the gift provokes when she's had time to be crazy and freak out in her own head about it.

Mr. Wiggles: Tearing the Flesh from Your Bones Since 2006

Wattietu - 85 Identity Crisis
<GM> LiverEater - 85 Zookeeper
Hyurgh - 85 Dancemachine
Zurax - 85 DURRRRRR
Sandeater - 85 Auctioneer
Wattietwo - 85 MOAR DURIDS
Mominatrix - 85 Spankstress
SkyCarver - 85 EKM4LIFE
Bee - 85 gonna sting ya!
Esophagustav - 85 Smash'n'bash
Akarai
Raid Leader

Wayward Priest

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 03:13:26 pm »

New sig for me!

This would also explain why a woman might get really excited when you give her a gift but then still make you sleep on the couch 3 hours later.
Was the gift a fart?  Really the only 'gifts' I get and then it is obvious where they are sleeping that night.

Aynrand
Guild Officer

Love your periods!

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 03:50:55 pm »

I'd also like to see a break down of the men, those who come from families with a dominate female presence, mom laying down the law, vs those where the father leads the household.

Hmm, do I count?  I have two older sisters, no brothers, and my mom was the disciplinarian.  My father was meek, and not around much.  I'm not sure where I stand on the feel the need to apologize continuum, though.  Maybe in the middle somewhere?

AynRand - Blood Elf Paladin
Dingleberry

lol

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 12:26:33 am »

I have to say that cocks are WAY better than vaginas. Can't get a nice hard vag up the ass, now can you?

I fell out of my chair lolling.

This sir, might be a famous quote one day.

Get Like me.
Tbag
Guild Leader

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 07:59:54 am »

This is the real difference between men and women:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/U5_HhqcbF_0?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/U5_HhqcbF_0?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Tbag (♂ Tauren Druid 80)Rockarolla (♀ Troll Hunter 80)
Buffer (○ Blood Elf Paladin 80)Organna (♀ Orc Warlock 80)
Hooligan (♂ Orc Warrior 80)Moraxella (♀ Tauren Death Knight 80)
Weird (♂ Undead Mage 80)Priestitute (♀ Blood Elf Priest 80)
Capacitor (♂ Goblin Shaman 8)Claret (♀ Blood Elf Rogue 75)
Dingleberry

lol

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 05:51:20 pm »

This is the real difference between men and women:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/U5_HhqcbF_0?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/U5_HhqcbF_0?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

when did you videotape a convo between me and my mom? /facepalm

Get Like me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: